2007-01-28

Second Life: The Final Frontier

Other bloggers have mentioned Spaceport Alpha, so I thought I should have a look for myself, being a long-time space exploration fan and amateur astronomer. How long-time? Let's just say that I remember when Sputnik was launched: my Father recorded the beeps of its signal on his ham radio equipment.


This is one of the most amazing sims in SL. There is a lot of information to look at, and the roof of the main building has life sized models of nearly every NASA and Soviet rocket ever launched.

A model of Kennedy Space Center

The Vertical Assembly Building doesn't look so big after all...

The grandaddy of them all -- Robert Goddard's first liquid-fueled rocket , 1926


I wonder what old Robert would have thought of the Saturn V, only 40 years later?

The Business end of Atlantis

If you have any interest in spaceflight at all, this is a must-see.


No comments: